Saturday, December 20, 2008

Perfection

An artist seek a perfect man for her painting, turned become a murderer.

"Perfection" is the short drama produced by me and my friends.
Generally it received mixed reviews from lecturer and students.

To make a horror movie is a challenging task, we never try this before.
In fact, no senior ever try this before.
Mr. Jerry already told us the risk and problem we gonna face before we start our pre-production, but still he support us.

From the beginning until the end, I always know "lighting" is our biggest weakness.
Over-exposure, color is irregular, video noise....it's all because of lighting.
We cannot blame the lighting person, because non of us can do better.

One thing I admit, we are too ambitious (or "greedy" as I mentioned before), we tend to inject too many things....
The story moves too fast, until there is no room for audience to switch their mood....
Everything in the plot come out too sudden, and it is not smooth.

Mr.Lim said he don't like to see the murderer revealed in the earlier stage, he want more suspense.
Actually we do keep some suspense in the plot, where we didnt show the murderer cut off the victims' body part.
But, most of the lecturers and classmates already know our basic idea before they watch it, which is why, the suspense gone, and this is unavoidable.
Obviously, I see better "suspense" respond in second screening for our junior.


Regarding to the character development (which I care the most, after cinematography), I think it is not bad, atleast we didnt simply throw a bloody character and want the audience to accept her.
In the drama, we actually develop her character neatly, explain her personality slowly, especially at the beginning part.
Scriptwriter deserved credits.

But, as what Mr.Justin comment, if we add more psycho elements to the character, it would be better.
For an example, the artist killed the victims with her anger, then turned smiling for satisfaction, then turned crying for guilt.

Talked about killing scene, it is not managed well....especially the first and second victim.
Many people found that it was so fake,
maybe the props, maybe the sound effect, maybe the acting are not good.

If you asked me, I like the third and fourth victim's killing scene.
Both of these scenes really met our goals.
It was planned and organized to shoot in that way during scriptwriting, and we did it!!!

Another thing to discuss is the music and sound.
I think we did a great job.
One thing I am sure about our drama is....
when there is a music bedding, the scene is nice,
when there is no music, the scene is boring.

The message of this drama is clear, especially when we show the famous quotes by Aristotle and Empedocles in the end.
We give this movie a sad ending, and deliver a meaningful message negatively.

"Perfection",
perhaps it is not a perfect drama,
but atleast, it is a completed one.

Production crew:
Producer: Ai Yin
Production Manager: Chien Yi
Director: JT
Scriptwriter: See Wei
Camera: Yuan Chin and Poh Yi
Editors: Pui Yee and Pai Wah

1 comment:

G.A.Y said...

Aha! At last, my group review!
Ok, won't be berat sebelah. I'll give my honest comment.

This production of ours, I do agree, we are squeezing many things into the 20-30 mins. Not easy to develop the story and a storyline which we are the first to do this genre in TARC.

To me, music plays the most important role in this movie. Try to listen without the music and SFX. It is just a damn plain, no emotion, lifeless movie. And because of the music, it triggers the viewers emotions and reactions. It brings the movie alive and delivers the story.

And I believe, we can make the story better by entending the time. With the time, we can actually create those mood and suspense in better way and at the right moment.

Thanks to all my members! You all really put a lot of efforts into it. I'm not referring to one or two, but I'm referring to all of US. As I mentioned in Jaded comment, a particular good cinematography of a scene does not only falls on one crew member. Is the team, we, who has worked as one.