Monday, December 15, 2008

Jaded

A prostitute, with memories that haunted her.
She wait her life to end, and to die.


"Jaded" is another drama produced by my classmates, the team is formed by many strong crews.

Basically, the drama is all about the story-telling of a prostitute about herself.
Her childhood, her past, her memories, her flashback, and the reason for her being a prostitute.


For me, there is nothing special about the story.
We all know, usually a prostitute become one is cause by "a nightmare".
"SHE DONT WANT TO BE A PROSTITUTE"

But the special thing about "Jaded" is, their story-telling technique is quite different, abstract and heart-breaking.
The character development is very good, her stories and secret is reveal layer by layer.

It's very interesting too to see the first-person narrator to tell her own story.
The tone and voice is so sad, so numb.

One more thing, the still photograph used in opening credit is great.
Very beautiful, it's a work of professional.

That's all for my positive review for "Jaded".

Generally, "Jaded" receive positive comments from lecturers.
Mr. Jerry said, "Jaded is excellent, it already seperate itself with the other 3dramas."
Mr. Lim said "Jaded" is beautiful, nice and details. Bravo!!!

Audience like it or not? I am not really sure.
But I heard Mun Yi said before, she like it, and she cried when she watched.
Now, I have to make my position clear here, I don't like "Jaded".

In fact, I think "Jaded" is the most boring and irritating drama among us.
Why? because it is not dramatic, it is not entertaining.
Their style is more artistic.


I like the music they chose, it fits the image so damn well, but only at the beginning.
Once I realize the bedding is so draggy, I hate it.
It is hard to put full concentration to the story and video if the music makes you feel sleepy.

Mr.Lim also said, the shots of water glass is very memorable, nicely composed and well-planned.
I agree with him. You will never see thiskind of shots in other group's production.


Following of what I write, is based on my own opinion, and definitely didnt concern much to the drama itself.
(DONT SHOOT ME!!!)
It's more towards politics issue and production problems.

Most of us know, there are some internal problems throughout the progress of pre-pro, pro, and post-pro in "Jaded".
Every group have arguement, but normally we can deal with it, and we can reach an agreement and understanding among the crews.


The director of "Babylon A.D." claims that his movie is a disastrous production, because the crews didnt shoot the movie according to his style at all.

Zhang Yi Mou is the famous auterist model director.
His scene is visually unique, and it is used consistently in his movies.

But sometime, I doubt that.
You know, the so called "consistent" could be co-incident.
The so called "visually unique" in a memorable scene could be his crew's idea.

I read a review by Christopher Doyle, the cinematographer of "Hero".
He admit that, why they used green color in "Hero" is because they have no other color else to choose.
In fact, green color did not have any specific meaning,
and it didnt represent "youth", as what most film critics interpret.


So, my point here is....
"Jaded" is considered a lucky and co-incidentally great production.

It is hard to give credit scene by scene to crew by crew.
You cant say, "Wow, this scene is great. Credit to the director!"
"Wow, that scene is great. Credit to the screenwriter, or editors, or actress!!!"

So, if the crew can settle their internal problem among themselves, without spreading to other people, no one knows right???
If you ask me, I really cannot see any weakness in "Jaded".
It is a great movie for artistic movie goers.
But since I know there is internal problem, I doubt that.

The act of "Babylon A.D.'s director is so stupid. It spoils the movie.

That's all for my opinions.
Once again, no offence.
Thank you!

2 comments:

Wei Xiang said...

another good review =) but not as critical (I think it's because you're not fond of artistic films, but seriously, how many people do? I don't =_=") as what you're able to discuss about in the other short dramas =)

Since you mentioned that Jaded is a success maybe by "accident and coincidental" (maybe a bit of luck in there too) but I guess it's a "happy ending" for everyone in the group =)

Maybe because I can't be as analytical when 1st presented with a film, but I didn't quite notice the song they used were "repetitive" until the 2nd screening (of course after lecturers mentioned about it in the 1st). So I feel that the only downfall is the music section. Minus the "problems", it'd make a pretty good production =)

G.A.Y said...

Yes, I do agree this is an artistic movie. The storyline... The viewers must follow and listen carefully to what the narrator said. If you din focus on it, you might miss out the important point.

Cut long story short on cinematography, among all the four production, I like this the best. I love the colour, the lighting and, the way the story is projected and the location (it successfully gives the feel. CONGRATS!!!). Credits given to the team members who has really make this movie so beautiful.

I do agree, with Jia Teng that, not necessarily the credit give to those who hold the post (props=props manager). Is a NO NO. Cause we must understand this is a student work. We work as a small team. And we are not professionals YET. So some how or rather, we need to depends on each other. One might hold the post but might not be doing what they suppose to do or they know nothing at all about their particular post or they might be doing someone's job too. So, only the crews should know by themselves, who the credits really goes to. As a normal viewer, their depth of knowledge in this production process is that, when they amaze with something in the movie, it must be from the director. So, as a student in this field, we know the truth on how the process actually goes. Sometimes or most of the time, it really differ from the viewers.

But if you want me to watch this kinda movie as my entertainment or leisure, I'll give a NO at this moment(due to my lifestyle and interest). Is just to heavy and need a lot of concentration (which I hate).

However, it is really the best piece of work for TARC! Congrats!

As for my director, good job in putting all this reviews, JT :)